Thursday, April 20, 2023

Faces of History! William Wallace

Big Day! Nephi chose to do William Wallace this year for his Institute of Excellence in Writing class. Elliot let us borrow his outfit and Clairana painted his face to match the flag. 





Nephi Evans

Faces of History

                                

Fight for Freedom

"There's a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom. And I go to make sure that they have it." [1] I am William Wallace. [6] About 750 years ago, I was a Scottish warrior, who was fiercely resolute to fight for freedom. [2] Suddenly, the king Alexander III died and had no children to become the new king or queen. [3] Edward I, king of England, invaded Scotland, determined to rule over both countries. Since this journey would become my life story and legacy I will start from the beginning with my early childhood. [6] Following my childhood, I developed into great warrior because of the need to fight for Scotland’s freedom. [4] Finally, like all men, I William Wallace, am ultimately defeated by death.

            I was born in 1270. [6] In my early years, I was a member of the lesser nobility, but little is definitely known of my family history or even my parentage. [2] Interestingly, some believe my father, whose name is Alan Wallace, may be the same as the one listed in the 1296 Ragman Rolls as a crown tenant in Ayrshire. [3] While some sources announce that my father is Sir Malcolm of Elderslie. [5] According to my seal, my father’s name is Alan Wallace. [4] It is known from other sources that surprisingly I have two brothers named Malcolm and John. [1] Although in the year of 1270 when I was born, I am described as lesser nobility I would eventually rise up and create a long-lasting legacy.

Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take away our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM! During an attack near Stirling, I rescued an orphan named Calum, who had been punished by soldiers for begging for food.  [2] Famously, with the help of the orphan boy, I led the Scots to victory against a larger ferrous English army at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in September 1297. [3] Calum revealed to us Abbey Craig. [6] Although not all wars would be won. [5] The battle of Falkirk, which was on July 22, 1298, would shatter my coalition and destroy my reputation as a general. [1] Miserably, I was then forced into hiding. Evading capture by the English until August 5, 1305, when John de Menteith, a Scottish knight loyal to Edward, turned me over to English soldiers at Robroyston, a site commemorated by a small monument in the form of a Celtic cross.[4]

Crossly, I was charged with treason, but at my trial I declared: “I could not be a traitor to Edward, for he was never my king.” Brutally, I was executed on August 23, 1305. [3] Suffering, I was stripped naked and dragged through the city. [4] I was then strangled by hanging, but released moments before my death so that further tortures could be inflicted upon me. [1] Throughout this torture, ruthlessly my stomach was cut open; the bowels pulled out and burned before my eyes. [2] Finally, I was beheaded and my body was chopped into four pieces. A gruesome death. [6] After my death, my head was dipped in bubbling tar and placed on a pike atop London Bridge. Although my sacrifice for my country did not go in vain as Scotland was able to achieve independence a few years later. [5] Because of my courage, I am now regarded as a prominent national hero in Scotland. In 1869, the Wallace Monument, which is a massive tower standing 220 feet tall, was erected close to the site of my victory at Stirling Bridge.

Born in Scotland. [6] As I examined the helpless people of Scotland suffer under English rule, I became deeply angry.  Because of this anger, I chose to fight many wars. Paying the price for freedom, I would end my life being charged with treason. [4] Courageously, I showed that clever rebels could triumph over a stronger enemy. [3] Over time the people of Scotland learned that lesson well, and Robert the Bruce, who was my best friend, went on to win Scotland’s freedom. [2] Remember you must always fight for freedom. 


Science mixed in - we combined all the kids together and did a lesson on Sargassum seaweed that is currently in the news. It is a massive amount in Florida. We purchased some and had it shipped from Florida for the kids to explore all the creatures inside. Then we ate seaweed chips afterwards. It was a great connection for our older kids as they are reading about the Gulf Stream. 



 Ms. Erin leading up the class.



 Fun outside afterwards. 



 We had some of the kids sing the Greek alphabet after Faces of History was complete. 






Lauren taught the class this year. 




Little girls sang Do Re Me
 I got mask for all the audience to wear. We are also surprising the kids in two weeks with a trip to the Medieval castle in Chicago as a co-op so they can wear them there as well. Its going to be amazing!

 Seaweed Chips! Most loved them.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LCA