Monday, July 25, 2016

Cabella Lou - Birth Story

Smaller than Cora and Nephi but much bigger than Clairana
She has ARRIVED! 
7.15.16 at 2:36am 8lbs 9oz 20 inches long 
and perfect. 
Cabella Lou Evans 

She made Havasu and Dr. Hooker History.
In Lake Havasu things are a little different. 

They do not allow midwives or home-births and you get the choice of two OB-GYNs.
They also only allow you to go to 41 weeks. 

We were scheduled to be induced on Wednesday, July 13th but after seeing Dr. Hooker one last time to work out all the details he changed his mind. He said he would let me go another week because I had always gone over with the other three and because he felt that neither I or Cabella were in any stress. Hooker History. 

I went to the lake with the kids on Thursday morning and had contractions but thought nothing of it. Around lunch we headed home and I called Levi to let him know he should probably bring his work things home that night for the next day. He has a 90 minute commute so after a few more hours at work he wanted to come mostly because he said...."I don't trust you to tell me when" 

I labored at home - this labor was much different in the fact that I knew I needed to rest between contractions unlike trying to keep them coming. After three natural births I know once I start labor it will keep coming. I laid in bed once dinner was over and let Levi take care of getting everyone to bed.

It was about 10:30 when I told Levi to call our friends from church and tell them in about an hour or two we would bring the kids by......then I changed my mind. I knew I was not as far along as I was with Cora when we left for the hospital but I also promised my husband and my Dr. that I would not be so dramatic in birthing within 30 mins of arriving at the hospital. We decided to load the kids up and head to drop them off and then to the hospital.

When we arrived at the hospital, we checked in and if you have been to Havasu you know there are not too many families let alone big (2+ kids) here. When Levi told them this was number four they almost went into freak out mode at the front desk. They insisted on me getting in a wheelchair but I refused - nicely but refused. Again, who wants to sit in a chair while birthing a child.....not me. 
After getting up to the maternity ward, the normal prodigal is to check you and measure you contractions before calling the Dr or admitting you. They didn't do either they immediately put me in a room and called Dr. Hooker. I knew I was going to be another two hours because I could tell by my pain level and I didn't feel the urge to push but the nurses said we don't want to deliver tonight. 

We were checked in and put on the monitor and had great nurses who didn't have anyone else on the floor - plus for the middle of the night births!

We were at a 7 and they asked the question....do you want an epidural? Mmmhhh.....Silence.....
Yes, I would like to treat myself to drugs after having three natural births. Thank you.

Got my epidural - There is NO WAY that the needle from that has any comparison to 
getting the baby's head passed your pelvic bone without drugs even bent over with contractions. 
(sorry if too much info)

Once he finished me up with two doses of drugs - he said my body was laboring faster than they could get the drugs into my system. Who knows.

They left and I ran the bell to tell them my water had broke and that was it I was at a 10 and ready to push.  

My Dr. was amazing .... I was nervous after having such loving midwives to have a male doctor whose previous career was construction management - go figure. 

He waited and let me push when I wanted to and for that I had an amazing recovery. Levi did awesome as always making sure I had a cold washcloth on my forehead and a bucket to puke in. 
He is always great when the pushing part comes to make sure I remember to 'stay low' and push down and not from my head. 
She arrived just great - no issues and the placenta came out right away - (Dr. Hooker had done lots of research since we had such trouble with Coraline) 

Daddy did the cord as always and scooped that baby right up!

Can you believe we now have FOUR?!! Who would have ever thought. 

The famous hit by a bus in labor picture - they had me lay in bed to monitor her heartbeat when we first arrived.

First picture right after she was born





Naptime for these two!



Flowers from Aunt Ashli


Please let us go home from the hospital!!


FIRST TIME EVER!!!

My Hilarious Husband - writing on the wall at the hospital

First Bath - No Hospital Bath 

Big Sister  - Clairana has been an amazing help. She really has not been very motherly before so this is such a great thing to see - she already has a great bond with her.

1 comment:

  1. Ok so I'm a total snooper. I'm just being dying to know your story. I'm a birth story junky. Can't wait to hear more in person.

    ReplyDelete

Shirts - BE

 Levi thought of this idea for a charity softball game he was in. My shirt says "Base Bid" and all the kids have shirts that say &...