Sunday, January 31, 2016

Homeschooling


Since being in Arizona life has settled down with not as many play-dates and to-do list...
I have really been focusing on how I want  to homeschool. 
We have implemented a few things which I am VERY pleased with. Learning how to teach continues to be a challenge but I can see progress which is so rewarding.

The weather is in the low 70s here most days with a breeze. 
We make sure to spend time outside and enjoy the sunshine. 
Although Levi and I talk about how scared we are for how hot it will be in a few months!


Things To Do Chart:

I searched LOTS and LOTS of Chore Charts, Homeschooling Charts, etc. Until I came up with my own.
I wanted to do part school with part chores for each day. Also, I wanted them to know a sense of accomplishment and see their results.....Ala the Things To Do Chart
I do not care when during they day these things get done (within reason) and must be done before Levi gets home.

Devotional - I read to them daily a scripture story and they answer three - five questions
Memory Box - Learning Memorization - Daily/Odd Even/Weekly/Monthly
Make Bed
Math Lesson
- Currently using Saxon K daily lessons
Reading Lesson - We are currently using 'Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons' and will be done by May at which point we have a list of 20 books to accomplish over the summer.
(Clairana mostly but Nephi has picked up on lots and now wants his own book to start)
Dress ThemselvesPledge of Allegiance
Brush Teeth
Handwriting

After they have completed something they get to turn it over.
Once all have been completed they can choose to watch a show or make a treat. 
At this time, we will be doing this routine at least 3-4 days a week.
I do not want to overwhelm them for several reasons - play is important, exercise and sunshine is important, socialization is important.
Tuesdays we play with other homeschooled kids at the lake/park for most of the day.
Nephi and Clair are doing great at using their scooters at the skate park!
Wednesday - Craft and StoryTime at the Library
Swim Lessons and Ballet Lessons as well as Church

I am going to homeschool year round while we are here - mostly because it provides structure for our whole house and then when we have visitors or a new addition I won't have to worry about missing lessons.




Our LAST Box to Unpack......Ukkkk
I have looked in this box more than a dozen times and shut it... 

Trampoline Time in the Front Yard

Morning Huddle

Nephi's Pick - Science Project

Building Shapes with Marshmallows and Straws

Difference between a Rectangle and Pyramid with holding weight
Time & Calendar - Math




No comments:

Post a Comment

Clairana - boating

The Hayman and Clayton family took girls from church out to a day on the water. Clairana enjoyed tubing and racing on the jet skis. Everyone...